Monday, November 2, 2009

Hummus


My mother-in-law got me the food processor that I really wanted for my birthday (I know, dork alert), and I couldn't wait to use it. I came across several recipes that I couldn't make because they all required food processors. Chris and I go to get homemade hummus at least once a week at local restaurants, so I really wanted to start making hummus myself. No need to spend the money and take the time if you can do it at home very easily! I've heard hummus was easy to make, and the rumors were true! It couldn't have been much easier! (The hardest part was getting my new food processor assembled!) There are so many recipes for hummus out there, so I just picked Martha Stewart's basic hummus recipe because all of her food is delish. I got the recipe out of her "New Classics" cookbook. I plan on trying out several other recipes in the near future (I bought way too many cans of garbanzo beans).
Recipe:
2 (15.5oz) cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans (they are the same thing)
1/3 c of fresh lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c tahini (I couldn't find this so I substituted it for 1 T nutmeg and 1 t cumon)
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 1/4 t coarse salt
A few tablespoons of water to desired consistency
Drain and rinse chickpeas/garbanzo beans. Add all ingredients to food processor, starting with chickpeas. Store and refrigerate in an airtight container up to one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment