Monday, November 2, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup


My final adventure with the food processor (and the most time consuming) was Butternut Squash Soup. Chris took me to The Worthington Inn for my birthday Friday, and I had the Butternut Squash Soup there. It was to die for! Therefore, I tried to find a recipe that mimicked the taste of The Worthington Inn masterpiece. After sorting through several recipes online, I found this one, and I turned out great! I was very pleased with the results, and I plan on making this again in the future. I doubled the recipe listed below and froze some of the soup for future dinners. I added fresh ginger and coriander to the recipe and it really added to it.

Recipe:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced carrots
4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (I found it already cubed and cut at the store)
3 cups vegetable stock
salt and ground black pepper to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
*ground fresh ginger (I put in a good amount and it really added to the recipe)
*2 t coriander

Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in the butter and oil under tender.
Mix the carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper, ginger, coriander, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender.
In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to the pot and serve. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.

Source: All Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment