Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fresh Green Beans


I'm always looking for tasty vegetable recipes, and thought this recipe for green beans looked perfect. The recipe is so stinkin easy...I even took a shortcut and bought a bag of pre-washed fresh green beans at the grocery (so I didn't have to take the ends of off green beans myself). It took me about 5-10 minutes from start to finish. Super easy. Super cheap. Super healthy.
Recipe:
1-2 shallots, well chopped (I used one but will probably use 2 next time because I loved the taste of the shallot. The original recipe calls for leeks but I have no idea where to find those at the grocery)
1/4 cup fresh dill, well chopped
3/4 pound green beans (or one bag), tops and tails trimmed and cut into 1-inch segments
extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt (I used regular salt)
Directions:
Start by boiling beans in hot water for a few minutes (or microwave in bag according to directions like I did).

In a large thick-bottomed skillet of medium-high heat add a generous splash of olive oil, a generous pinch of salt and the shallots. Stir until the shallots are coated and glossy. Cook, stirring regularly until a lot of the shallots are golden. I stir every minute or two in the beginning, and more often as they brown using a spatula. Stir in the dill, and then stir in the green beans. Cook for a couple more minutes - just until the the beans brighten up. Turn out into a bowl or onto a platter and serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment