Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chinese Cabbage Salad


This is my all time favorite salad recipe! When I came home from college, I would request that my mom make this for me. My mom makes the higher fat version of this recipe, and I was determined to find something with the same great flavor, but lower cal. This recipe tastes so similar to my mom's yummy original, you really can't tell that this is so much healthier!

Recipe:
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 package ramon noodles, broken – minus the spice packet
1 small head of cabbage, chopped or sliced fine
1 bunch green onions, sliced – green parts only
4 tablespoons Splenda or raw sugar (I used raw sugar)
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
7 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

In a frying pan, over medium heat, melt the butter; saute the sesame seeds, almonds, and broken ramen noodles until golden brown. Set aside to cool completely.
In a large bowl combine the cabbage and green onions. In a blender or food processor emulsify the Splenda, pepper, oil, salt, and rice wine vinegar until creamy. Pour over the cabbage and toss. Add the sesame mixture and toss. Add more salt to taste, if necessary. Serve immediately.

Per Serving (about 10): 97 Calories; 2 g Protein; 8 g Tot Fat; 6 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; 2 g Sugar; 255 mg Sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment